* County Road 100S in Fairplay Township (also known as the Arkansas Crossing) has been reopened.
* The Linton Public Library will have a free showing "Jack the Giant Slayer" from 5:30 to 7:30 p.m. This is a PG-13 movie, and anyone under the age of 13 must be accompanied by an adult. There will be free refreshments served.
* The Country Travelers Band will be at the Lyons Senior Center from 5 to 8 p.m. There will be dinner available by donation.
* Books to Movies is a new monthly program for patrons 18 and older that will be hosted by the Bloomfield-Eastern Greene County Public Library. The movie will begin at 6 p.m. Throughout each month we will read a book and then gather on the third Tuesday of the month to watch its movie and discuss the differences. Free popcorn will be provided. Call or visit the library to find out what movie is playing in June.
Wednesday, June 19
* Special Teen event at the Linton Public Library. The Unofficial Hunger Games Survival Skills Program with survival expert and author Creek Stewart from 10 a.m. to noon and 1:30-3:30 p.m. Teens need to sign-up right away by calling 847-7802.
Thursday, June 20
* An executive session to receive information about and interview prospective employees will be held at 5 p.m. at the Linton Public Library. The regular board meeting will immediately follow the executive session.
* Dugger Lodge No. 721 F&AM will eat at 6 p.m. and work in the MM Degree at 7 p.m. Visiting brethren welcome.
* Newberry Masonic Lodge 166 will have two EA degrees. Eat at 6:30 p.m. and work at 7 p.m. Masons welcome.
* The annual Greene County Homemaker's style show judging will be at 6:30pm at the Extension Office. Contact Bety Sullivan through Polly at 659-2122 for entry forms, categories, and rules. Special item this year is a robe with sleeves.
* The Worthington Garden Club Longaberger Pottery Bingo will be at the Community Building in the park. Doors will open at 5 p.m. and Bingo will begin at 6 p.m. Tickets are $10. Call 875-8811 or 875-3287 for availability or see a Garden Club Member. Food available: Ham salad, chicken salad, taco in a tray, desserts & drinks Proceeds will benefit the Worthington Garden Park.
Friday, June 21
* The Bloomfield Class of 2015 will be hosting a fundraiser near the courthouse square in Bloomfield from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. They will be selling taco in bag for $3.50, or a meal (including drink and cookies) for $5. Proceeds will benefit the post-prom. They will be located at the Bloomfield State Bank lot on the corner of Main and Washington Streets.
* The Lyons Better Baseball and Softball Organization will have a fundraiser at Cinco de Mayo in Lyons. All day a portion of the profits will be donated to the organization.
Saturday, June 22
* There will be a Texas Hold-Em Tournament to benefit Leora Mason at 1 p.m. at the Linton Moose Lodge for $25 a person (Must be at least 18). We are allowing two extra buy-ins. There will be a 50/50 drawing and alcohol available. First, second and third place winners. We hope to see you all there. Any questions, please call 381-3243.
* The Linton Moose will have a chicken and noodle dinner from 5 to 7 p.m. Karaoke at 8 p.m. Members and guests are welcome.
* Please join the Hoosier Environmental Council for a town hall meeting at the Pleasantville Rock House from 1 to 3 p.m. to discuss the human health and environmental health effects that Bear Run Mine has had on the community and what you can do about it. There will be refreshments. For questions or comments, please contact Morgan Whitacre at 317-645-7324 or email at email@example.com
* There will be a benefit at the Hymera Ruritan Building on South Main Street from noon to 3 p.m. to assist Charlotte (Boyll) Parr's family, with two children. Their power has been shut off since May 16. There will be baked goods for sale, a silent auction and gospel music. For more information to offer donations, call 812-383-4044.
* The Lyons Better Baseball and Softball Organization is having an adult co-ed softball tournament. The cost is $150 a team, and must consist of five men and five women. Man do not have to bat opposite hand. To enter your team, contact Lesli English at 384-5673 or Justin English at 381-3429
* The American Legion Auxiliary will be at the Linton Farmers Market with fresh baked brunch bread loaves (banana, cinnamon, lemon poppy seed and pumpkin). Possible other varieties will be available date. Orders can also be placed for Auxiliary made noodles. The market runs from 8 a.m. to 1 p.m.
* Luau at the Greene County Shrine Club featuring a hog roast and a band. Meal is at 5:30 p.m. and the band "The Headliner Band" from Bloomington will open at 8 p.m. Doors open at 4 p.m. This event is open to the public. Tickets are $5 a person and are available by calling 789-8088.
* Benefit for Hendricksville Area Assocation Children's Christmas Fund from 6 to 8 p.m. at the Community Center, on Hwy. 43, Hendricksville. There will be Country Music and a Pitch-In. Price is a $3 each donation plus bring a covered dish to share. We will eat at 6 p.m. Music by Hole in the Wall Gang. Band members: Ron Adamson, Gary Eads, Kevin Hirth, Dan Keegan, Faron Livingston and Sheriff Terry Pierce. Please note: The band will be playing in the fire station bay area. Please bring a lawn chair and enjoy the music.
Sunday, June 23
* There will be a fried chicken dinner at the Sandborn Community Center from 11 a.m. to 1:30 p.m. The menu will include fried chicken, mashed potatoes, green beans, desserts and drinks. This is sponsored by the Sandborn Park Board. All donations appreciated.
Monday, June 24
* Linton NARFE (National Active and Retired Federal Employees) Chapter 1688 will meet at 4:30 p.m. in the conference room of Greene County General Hospital. All active and retired federal employees and their guests are welcome.
* In order to do the mowing, all flowers at the Scotland Cemetery on the ground must be removed by today. Also, the lot prices will increase to $500 as of Jan. 1, 2014.
Tuesday, June 25
* Greene County Extension Homemakers past and present will be having their annual Achievement Day at the 4-H building located east of Switz City. Event will begin at 11 a.m. with the Homemaker's Style Show. A light lunch will follow along with the program for the day. No reservations are needed, please just come and help us "Reminisce our Past." For more info you may call 812-659-2122 or 812-875-2096.
Saturday, June 29
* Beer pong and open bar at the Greene County Shrine Club. Doors open at 6 p.m. Two-man teams. Open to the public. DJ at 8 p.m.
Thursday, July 4
* Brian Jackson Benefit: Raffle tickets for a 55 inch Sanyo TV are being sold for $10 each for a drawing to be held July 4th at the Linton City Park All money raised is to benefit the Brian Jackson family in his fight against Luekemia. Please contact (812) 798-0237 for tickets
Friday, July 5
* The Linton Class of 1978 will have its 35th class reunion at 7 p.m. at the Old Bank in LInton. Text or call Jackie Strong to RSVP or with any questions at 381-1110.
Saturday, July 6
* Linton High School Class of 1968 will have their 45th class reunion starting at 6 p.m. at the Old Bank Restaurant. For more information contact Mike Smith at firstname.lastname@example.org or 812-8474837 during the day or 812-847-9916 evenings. Reservations need to be made by June 25.
* The Linton-Stockton High School Class of 2008 will be celebrating their 5-year reunion at 7 p.m. Alumni of the class should RSVP with current contact information to LHS08Reunion@gmail.com. For further information "like" the Facebook page LHS Class of 2008 Reunion or follow @LHS08Reunion. All questions will be answered via email.
Saturday, July 13
* The annual Mowery Reunion will be from noon to 5:00 p.m. at the New Community Building at the Dugger Park. A covered dish lunch will be served at noon. Table service will be provided. Please notify all your relatives and encourage them to attend. We look forward to seeing you!
* The Bloomfield Masonic Lodge will have work in the Master Mason Degree. Dinner at 6 p.m. and work at 7 p.m. All visiting brethren welcome.
Saturday, July 20
* The Barker reunion will be held at the Lions Club at noon with a pitch-in lunch. Drinks furnished. Friends and relatives welcome.
Saturday, Aug. 24
* Hi-Lift Jack, Co. will be sponsoring a fundraising "Trail Day" at Redbird State Riding Area. All proceeds will benefit the Parent Project Muscular Dystrophy. Registration deadline is Aug. 9. First 100 registered vehicles will get free admission and free event T-shirt. Donations will be accepted to help research and treatment of Duchenne Muscular Dystrophy. The registration form includes name, email, phone, club, shirt size and passenger. Registration forms can be sent to "Trail Day", 46 W. Spring St., Bloomfield, 47424 or emailed to email@example.com
* Catholic Charities is happy to announcement that we will be sponsoring GED exam fees. If you are ready to take your GED exam, give us a call at 812-423-5456 or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
* The Son Shine Shop in Worthington will have a half-off sale on summer wear June 3 through June 15. The shop is at 16 North Washington St.
* The "Concert on the Hill" summer music series has been scheduled at Salem United Church of Christ in Westphalia, Ind. This will be an outdoor concert series at the church's shelter house, and it will be open to the public free of charge. Groups scheduled to perform this inaugural season include: June 23 -- For Heaven's Sake presenting gospel music, and the Clowns of Old Vincennes; July 28 -- The Thursday Church Praise Band; August 18 -- "Home Cookin' Night" featuring the musical and theatrical talents of Salem United Church of Christ; and September 22 -- The Sandborn First Christian Church praise band. Each event is scheduled to start at 6 p.m. In addition to the entertainment, there will be free refreshments. In case of inclement weather, the concerts will be moved inside the church. Salem Church is located just off Indiana Highway 67 at 13135 N. Salem Road in Westphalia.
* The Worthington Jefferson Township Public Library will kick of the Summer Reading Program Tuesday, June 4th at 1 p.m. The theme this year is "Dig Into Reading". The program is designed to promote literacy and to encourage a love of reading. The program will last for 6 weeks and will meet each Tuesday and Thursday from 1 to 2 p.m. No program July 4th. The Library will be closed. Any child from the age of pre-school to age 12 may attend the program. Older siblings may come and help. The Library has scheduled a variety of educational and entertainment programs. They include: "Arrr, It's the Pirate Show"; Greene County Extension -- "Wumps and Worm"; Marc Thomas and Max the Moose (Ventriloquist Program); Sunrise Coal Company -- "We Dig Coal"; WRV FFA -- "Growing Plants in Different Soil Types"; and Silly Safaris - Amazon John. The participants will also be making crafts and refreshments will be served. Awards will be given at the end of the six weeks. A schedule is available at the library's circulation desk. Early registration is not required. For more information, please call 875-3815
* Everyone is invited to to sign-up for the Summer Reading Program at the Linton Public Library. This year's theme has to do with The Underground. Participants get a BINGO card and fill it out by reading and doing reading-related activities. When they get a "Bingo", bring it into the library for smaller prizes and raffle tickets for larger prizes. Some of the prizes consist of toys, King's Island Tickets, gift cards to various stores (ie.,Gander Mountain, Barnes & Noble), theater tickets, zoo tickets, Marengo Cave tickets, State Fair tickets, a Kindle Fire and many others. All ages can participate.
* The Gem Mineral Fossil Show, sponsored by Lawrence County Rock Club will be Friday, August 9, 2013 10am-6:30pm; Saturday August 10, 2013 9am-6:30pm; and Sunday, August, 11, 2013 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. at the Lawrence County Fairgrounds, southwest of Bedford. Free entry, and fun for all ages. Wide Variety of Gems, Jewelry, Beads, Minerals, Fossils, Lapidary Supplies, Rockhound & Prospecting Supplies, 4-H Project Material, Science Fair Material. For more info visit: www.lawrencecountyrockclub.org or www.facebook.com/LawrenceCountyRockClub.
* The Worthington Senior Citizens Center, located downtown on North Commercial St., hosts an evening of euchre every Tuesday evening starting at 6:30 p.m. Everyone is welcome. For more information call the center at 812-875-2525.
* You can help the Shakamak School Food Pantry if you have Duke Energy as your electric service provider. By completing a home energy assessment, you will get information about how to save on your electric bill, 9 CFL light bulbs, 2 low-flow shower heads, 2 bathroom sink aerators, 1 kitchen sink aerator and pipe wrap- all absolutely free. The food pantry will get a $25 donation for each assessment completed. Go to the Shakamak web page at www.shakamak.k12.in.us then "local" and "help the food pantry" for a link to sign up and make your appointment for the energy assessment. There is nothing to buy and the representative has nothing to sell you.
* The Greene County Historical Society would like to collect names of the early pioneers located in Greene County before 1840. If you have knowledge and/or documentation of early pioneers to Greene County before 1840, please contact the Society office at 812-384-8400, e-mail -- email@example.com or mail -- 22 S. Washington St., Bloomfield. Some research material is available at the office. Any information you have would be most welcome.
* Union Church will be starting gospel sings the third Saturday of each month this year starting April 20. The Evening Light Gospel Singers (Lowell and Brenda Flynn) will be the featured singers along with the locals. Starting time is 6 p.m. The church is located on State Road 43 between Solsberry and Hendricksville. For more information, call Pastor Danny Hillenburg 847-0253 or the Schweers at (812) 876-5680.
* Newberry Festival is looking for venders, Little Mister and Miss contest entries, Cruise-in Car show entries and parade entries. You can get vender reservation forms and Little Mister & Miss forms at www.newberryfestival.com . The festival is Aug. 17 from 8 a.m. to 10 p.m. with vender set-up on Aug. 16 at noon. For more information email firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com .
* The Bloomfield High School class of 1973 is making plans for its 40-year reunion. Current contact information is needed for all classmates. Please call Brenda (Hamilton) Keller at (812) 275-4890 or Sue (Strange) Yake at (812) 384-8483 with this information.
* The National Guard Grandmother's Club will meet the first Monday of each month at 2 p.m. at the VFW Lodge in Linton.
* The Bloomfield-Eastern Greene County Public Library provides free delivery of materials to any homebound patron living within the service district. Residents of Richland, Beech Creek, Highland, Center, Taylor, and Jackson Townships are all eligible for the service. Permanent or temporary homebound patrons are encouraged to contact the library at 384-4125 to begin delivery service.
* Alanon Family Group meetings will be Mondays from 7 to 8 p.m. at the Linton Church of Christ, 4th St. in Linton.
* The Luke House, located at 128 S. Crowder St. in Sullivan, has meetings open to the public and the schedule is as follows: Mondays Christian 12-step program 6 to 7 p.m. and as a Narcotics Anonymous from 7 to 8 p.m. Tuesdays from 6 to 7 p.m. there will be a motivation class. Thursdays will be a recovery-related speaker. Fridays 7 to 8 p.m. Alcoholics Anonymous. Monday through Friday at 7 a.m. daily devotions and Bible study. For more information, call the Luke House at (812) 268-3728.
* Child Passenger Safety Technicians at the Greene County Sheriff's Department's Permanent Fitting Station, certified through the Automotive Safety Program at Riley Hospital for Children at the IU School of Medicine, are available to inspect safety seats and offer hands-on instruction on how to properly install your seat in your vehicle. They can make sure you have the car seat that fits your child best and that is properly secured in your vehicle. They may also be able to provide a car seat to families in need who meet income guidelines and in emergency circumstances when a child needs a seat immediately as a result of a fire or vehicle crash. For more information or to schedule an appointment for a safety inspection of your child's car seat, call the Greene County Sheriff's Department at 384-4422.
* Have you wanted to read the entire Bible but get discouraged or don't understand it? Prairie Chapel United Methodist Church will begin a 31-week series on the first Sunday in January (6th) that will help you to read through the Bible chronologically and then study what we've read during weekly worship and Sunday school times. Please contact Pastor Nikki Marker at 875-3301 to pick up your copy of the accompanying book titled "The Story."
* The Worthington American Legion Auxiliary Unit No. 106 will host Bingo every Friday night. Doors will open at 4 p.m. and Bingo will start at 6:15 p.m. Food is available for sale during each session.
* The Bloomfield Eastern Greene Public Library will host a banned book club the first Friday of every month at 5 p.m. in the Community Room.
* The Worthington First Baptist Church, located at the corner of Park and Dayton Sts., will host youth groups every Tuesday from 6:30 to 8 p.m. Kid's Club (4-years-old to fifth grade) will meet in the church and Four12 (sixth to 12th grade) will meet in the fellowship hall. For more information call 798-2870 or 798-2871.
* Mercy's Road Full Gospel Church services will be each Thursday at 7 p.m. at Coalmont Church. Call 699-1095 for more information.
* Bloomfield American Legion Memorial Post No. 196 is hosting Bingo every Thursday night at 5 p.m., with winner take all.
* The VFW Ladies Auxiliary Post 7118 of Linton will meet the first Monday of each month.
* The Alzheimer's Support Group will meet the first Monday of each month at the Switz City Christian Church at 6 p.m. If you have any questions please call Linda at 798-1589.
* Meals on Wheels is now available at the Lyons Senior Citizens Center starting at 11:30 a.m. Please call 847-3509 the day before you plan to attend. For those who are homebound and need meals delivered, call 2-1-1 or 1-800-742-9002.
* Bingo at the American Legion in Worthington is on Fridays. Doors open at 4:30 p.m. with games at 6:15 p.m. This is open to the public. Cost is $30 for 15 games All proceeds go to the Worthington American Legion. This event is non-smoking with breaks made for smokers to go outdoors.
* A 12-Step Overcomers Recovery Support meeting is every Wednesday at the Family Life Center on the east side of the square in Bloomfield from 7:30-8:30 p.m. Come and join us to overcome life-controlling problems of all sorts with Bible principles, prayer, memory verses and weekly support. Call Instructor Tom Jacob for more information at 384-6321.
* The Lyons Community Food Pantry at 150 East Broad Street (the old fire station) will be open from 4-6 p.m. the third Monday of every month, and the first Saturday of the month from 10 a.m. to noon. The pantry serves zip codes 47443, 47449, and 47465.
* Mineral United Methodist Church will have Bible study from 7 - 8 p.m. on the second, third and fourth Wednesdays of the month.
* Lebanon Baptist Food Pantry will only be open on the fourth Thursday of each month from 6-7:30 p.m.
* The Refuge Assembly of God food pantry will be open every Wednesday from 1-5 p.m. to assist those living in Bloomfield. To donate, please contact Trina at 384-8093 during the pantry's open hours.
* The Mineral Christian Men's Group meets at 8 a.m. every third Saturday of the month at the Mineral Community Building.
* House of Grace Coffee House will offer fellowship, food, worship and youth classes. The church is located at 792 S. Section St. in Dugger.
* The Pleasantville United Methodist Church food pantry is now open on the second and fourth Saturdays of the month from 10:30 a.m. - noon.
* The Lyons First Christian Church youth group meets at 6 p.m. on Mondays at the church's East Broad Street location.